Basic Contract Management - English edition
At this course you will learn how to create an overview of the contracting processes and activities as well as which individual elements your organization need to improve and master in order to implement best practice contract lifecycle management, and reach the desired goals.
Contract management is a complex puzzle in most organizations. Who is involved? What is their role? Who should conduct which activities, when and how? All these questions need to be analyzed, and the relevant strategies developed, and actions taken.
The course will give you knowledge, methods and specific tools for managing and improving contracts (pre- and postaward), and a common and up-to-date language around contracts as well as communication and implementation techniques, performance management and monitoring techniques, compliance methods and tools, claim and change management and conflict resolution methods.
Legal education is not a prerequisite.
The course is aimed at those who work daily or on a regular basis with contracts and contract-related tasks in a public organization or private company.
You work as a contract manager or you may have primary role within other domains, e.g. as a procurement or bid manager, program manager, IT-manager, coordinator, project manager, head of office, sales manager, tender manager, lawyer etc.
During the 2 days of “Basic Contract Management”, we´ll get into all the elements needed to perform contract lifecycle management:
You will get access to a 100 pages script on contract management, a 25 pages "good practice" framework and a toolbox to be applied directly in your own practice, e.g. RASCI-models, checklists and manuals.
The form of the course
The teaching combines theoretical introduction with practical examples, reflections and exercises, as well as dialogue and networking.
The focus is on a basic understanding of contract management as a discipline and the role of the individuals participating in the processes and activities. Furthermore, the course focuses on the actions that needs to be taken.
The course is partly interactive, so that you will be able to reflect on your own role, and the actions needed in your own organization.
As a part of the course a LinkedIn-group for the participants will be established - for reflections and follow-up on thoughts and actions.
René Franz Henschel
Professor at the Department of Law, Aarhus University. IACCM/WorldCC Advisory Board, certification at expert level, appointed Fellow
René is an experienced educator and researcher in contract law as well as contract management. He has published a large list of articles and books concerning the subjects and has a lot of practical experience through his work as a consultant – working for law firms, regions, municipalities and IT suppliers amongst others.
René is a member of the IACCM/WorldCC Advisory Board as well as being co-writer of many of the textbooks that we use in our education.
René has taught in contract and commercial management since 2010. He was appointed Fellow in January 2021 by WorldCC for his great contribution to developing contract management as an international disciplin and his personal commitment to spreading WorldCC's vision and mission of creating more value in trade relations.
- Introduction to contract management. Background, purpose, terminology, and definitions
- The 10 most important causes of bad contract management – and how to improve
- Efficiency gains, Key performance indicators and benchmarks
- Central, decentralized and centre-led contract management; reporting lines
- The role of leadership, change management and interdisciplinary coordination and collaboration
- The interaction between procurement, sales, SCM, CRM, Quality management, Project management, legal and contract management
- Contract compliance and regulatory compliance
- Portfolio management and risk management
- The contract lifecycle – overview
- Resources – people, competences, software and support functions
- Roles, responsibilities etc.
- Stakeholder management and communication
- Strategic, tactical, and operational contract management
- Ending day one
- The role of law and the balance between commercial management and contract management
- Contract law – basics rules and principles
- Obligations, warranties, liabilities and remedies
- Most important clauses: negotiation, drafting, management on a daily basis - do´s and don´ts
- Implementation of the contract in the organization
- Performance management and monitoring – compliance management
- Claim and change management
- Conflict management
- Exit management
- Contract close-out and lessons learned
- The way forward – good practice contract management; implementation and project management
- Ending day 2.
Overview: Basic Contract Management
2 days with theory, exercises, examples and discussions. The course is partly interactive, so that you will be able to reflect on your own role and the actions needed in your organization.
The teaching will be conducted in English.
As a part of the course a LinkedIn-group will be established for the participants - for reflections and follow-up on thoughts and actions.
100 pages script on contract management, 25 pages "good practice" framework and a toolbox to be applied directly in your own practice.
You can find the material on NSCCM’s material page. You will receive an email when the material page opens 2 weeks before classes start.
We recommend reading the 100 pages script on contract management.
There is no exam. A course certificate can be issued if required.
10.000 DKK excluding VAT.